Saturday 28 June 2014

The 18 euro refund, the Samba farewell party and the Dutch playing strategy

The real World Cup starts today when the knockout games commence with the hosts playing Chile. More about the game in a second.

I must admit that the Brazilians are true football hosts. Picture this:

Me at Brazilian embassy, Rotterdam (a week ago): "So, now that I have submitted my application, can I please have my visa in the 5 days you mention on your website ?. I need to travel to (Beirut &) Dubai prior to my trip to Sao Paulo."

Nice Brazilian lady at the counter (smiling): "Let me see what I can do. We are very busy at the moment...so my Consular General may frown...but leave it with me...you come on the 27th to collect".

Me (with the limited Portugese vocabulary, trying to sound like Fred,Hulk, Neymar etc..): "Mucho Brigaaada...senhora"

A week later (yesterday) - me at the embassy counter again (passing the slip V2135...V standing for Visas obviously !!): "So I have come to collect my visa.., any luck"

A different Senhora this time, but still smiling: "I have two pieces of good news for you"

Me (thinking - hey she is taking me out for dinner): "Tell me ..tell me.."

Senhora: Handing me a white packet. "This contains the 18 Euros you paid us...for World Cup visa, no fees"...

Me: "Wow, this go to be  my day".

Senhora: "and then we have your visa for 90 days..enjoy our beautiful country and the football".

Me: "Viva la Brazil !!" (much to the amusement of the 20 odd Brazilians sitting around for their passports..Mucho Brigada Senhora....

and she smiles back...

And from behind the glass counter ...Senhora number 1 (from a week ago) waves back at me...

And I shout out again..."Viva La Brazil"...

On my way out, the security guy stops me. "So what games will you watch when you are in Brazil ?"

I say: "Quarter finals at Salvador and Semi finals at Sao Paulo"

Security guard: "So who will win  - Brazil or Netherlands ?"

Me: "Really can't say, but must admit Van Gaal is getting his team selection and tactics right so far"

Him: "Why"

Me: "Lets take the attacks - all 10 goals have been scored from open play....not a single team can boast of that record. Van Persie and Robben have been brilliant - needless to say. Van Gaal has also kept up the energy of his team till the very end. In the scorching heat and humidity of the Brazilian venues, European teams will burn energy like a rocket in phase 1 of launch...6 out of the 10 goals have been scored in the last 30 minutes. More importantly the Dutch attack has been on target. Attempt rate has bene 80% which is better than the French or the Brazilians...and finally I think Van Gaal has been right by picking three Feynoord defenders (one of them, Ron Vlaar now with Aston Villa)  -all of them 190 cms and above, have played together for years..."

Security guard: "escute meu amigo, all this is nonsense....Neymar will keep all the tall Dutchies looking at space while he scores with his back heel...Vaan Gaal or your Indian Chana Dal....remember - you need to outscore the Brazilians to win...".

I quickly say goodbye and run.....

and before I sign off, some nice pictures from the lovely Samba party that the Dutch team threw at my farewell....





 

 


 

No comments: