Wednesday 2 July 2014

What do you pack for a once in a lifetime piligrimage to the Bethlehem of football

Hmmm. Nice question but difficult to answer.

But first some background.

When FIFA opened up the world cup ticket lottery in 2013, I was one of the first to register my interest. I had to sign up to the FIFA website, register my interest for the various games (almost 9 months in advance) very well with the knowledge that I did not know which teams had qualified. So it was a safe bet to register for the Quarters, Semis and Finals. Round One matches were a strict no-no.

Round one results - no tickets..... Damn..

Back to square one. Register interest again in Round 2.

Round two results - no tickets - Damn...

And then came the news of our transfer to Dubai.

Interview with new boss.

New potential boss: "So Neil, how do you feel?"

Me: "Great..."

New potential boss (Belgian national and football mad fan): "So can you start July 1"

Me (face crestfallen): "Of course..... but ...but...."

Boss: "Tell me..tell me"

Me (hesitantly): "I have one request. I can start July 1...but need holidays from July 4"..

Boss (now doubting my candidature): "Why?"

Me: " I plan to be in Brazil for the World Cup... and guess what.... Belgium are my dark horses"

Boss (eyes lighting up): " That's fine.... especially given that Belgium will make it to the Semis"...

We have a nice laugh, shake hands... and deal done.

Later in March... the wonderful folks at FIFA send me the much anticipated email with the news. I have tickets for the Quarter Finals at Salvador (Huh... where is Salvador) and semi finals at Sao Paulo... Hurray !!!

Which brings me fast forward to today - July 3...on the day prior to my trip... what do I pack ...

For starters - tickets !!! Tick.


Not to forget... Brazilian visa..you remember the story of the 18 euro refund...tick




Brazil, Germany and Belgium jerseys...(remember to pick up from airport)....

Camera, sun screen, light clothing.... tick tick tick....

Reminder that 8 current and ex Arsenal players are still in the Quarter Finals (Van Persie, Ozil, Vermalen, Koscielny, Podolski, Metersacker, Sagna, Giroud)...tick...

Memorise the odds available on Belgium to reach semis (a few weeks ago...)...7-2...Tick...

Bra....Zeeellllllllll...Here I come !!!

So watch this space for more photos, news from Salvador... and more..

And before I sign off, what can we expect...

The France Germany and Belgium Argentina too close to call. I think Brazil and the Dutch will go through. If the Red Devils (Belgians) play like they did all tournament, the Argentinians are in trouble. I think the France Germany game will go into penalties and Germany nicking it 4-3.

Thanks for being part of Omnikarma.....





 

No comments: